Sunday, November 30, 2014

Giving Thanks

Our family got to celebrate Thanksgiving twice this year! We originally planned to go down to Southern Utah with Dustin's family but Dustin and I were both scheduled to work Friday, so we would have just done a one-night visit. Then we found out that Dustin's mom, sister, and cousin had to work Thanksgiving, so we decided to just go down after work on Friday and do Thanksgiving with them on Saturday. Since we were up in Salt Lake for Thursday, we did "real" Thanksgiving with Dustin's other side of the family and it was super delicious. I love Thanksgiving dinner. And pie.

I found out I didn't have to work Friday after all so we were able to head down to Richfield early Friday afternoon instead of late that night. We had a lot of fun visiting with our Southern Utah family. My girls had a blast with Carson and Dustin's mom. Grandma Shawny is always willing to get down on the floor and play with her grandkids, and I really love that about her! This was the first time we stayed with Shawny at her house, and she was a great hostess. We had a great time.

I have had a lot to think about and be thankful for this month. Last week all four of us were sick on and off for two days straight. Dustin and I got it the worst. I had to take Tuesday off work, and Dustin took Monday and Tuesday off. Tuesday we spend most of the day on the couch in our pjs, watching cartoons with the girls and eating dry cereal and gatorade. It really really sucked to be feeling so crappy, but at the same time it was nice to be able to just be lazy at home with our family. Dustin and I really helped each other out. When he was too sick to move, I took care of the girls and ran to the store for gatorade. When I was trying not to puke all day, he kept the girls from using me as a jungle gym (no small feat!) and made me toast to eat. I am so, so, so grateful that I have such a great guy to be my teammate in this crazy thing we call life. There have been so many times this month that I have been thankful that I have someone by my side as we try to figure out how to be good parents, children, siblings, homeowners, church members....and everything else.

I'm thankful for my daughters who make me cry out of love and frustration, who drive me crazy and help me be a better person, who have to deal with my imperfections and still want to sit on my lap and cuddle, who demand stories and songs and hugs and kisses at bedtime, who amaze me with their intelligence and humor and love of life. They are blessed with healthy, strong bodies and minds. They have a safe, secure home, and numerous family and friends who love them and spoil them rotten. The worst thing they have had to deal with in their short lives is not getting to eat all of their Halloween candy at the same time.

I complain a lot. It's easier than counting your blessings. But really, how can I complain? We don't have everything life has to offer, but we are blessed beyond measure. I am so thankful! So, happy month of Thanksgiving to everyone. Now it's on to the best month of the year!

Yes, our Christmas Tree and lights are up and we've been listening to Christmas music. Yay, December!
We made a cheesecake for Thanksgiving and Lia was my adorable little helper. 

She loved helping me make the cheesecake, but would not eat it. Turns out she hates cheesecake. Go figure.

We saw this Santa on the sidewalk in Richfield posing for pictures, and thought we may as well go let the girls sit on his lap. They were SO excited to see Santa, but when their turn came....well, the pictures speak for themselves.


She was shaking and crying and would not even look up.
Cousins playing with grandma.

No comments: