Sunday, November 2, 2014

Pikachu and the 50's Girl

For a small moment, I toyed with the idea of convincing my girls to go as Elsa and Anna from Frozen for Halloween this year. I dismissed the thought pretty quickly when I realized how popular those particular girls were going to be this year. If Lia and Eleanor had wanted to go that route I probably would have let them, but secretly I was glad that they didn't think of it because I didn't want them to be dressed up just like every other little girl. I know, I'm kind of a snob. Eleanor decided to be Pikachu (because my girls are into Pokemon lately) and at first Lia wanted to be Misty (from Pokemon) as a mermaid fairy. Uhhhh....how was I going to pull that off?
"Pikachuuuuu!" I made her costume out of a sweater I found at the D.I. It only took me a few hours and it looks awful up close, but she loved it.
Luckily my friend brought over a poodle skirt her daughter had outgrown and I convinced Lia to wear it. At first she wasn't too sure but when I told her a "50's girl" is someone who wears a cute skirt and shirt and makeup and jewelry and a ribbon in her hair, she was thrilled. Lia is as girly as it gets and she loved the idea of getting to wear makeup and get her nails painted. I felt a little guilty about not indulging her dreams of being Misty the mermaid fairy, but the 50's girl was much less work for me and she was excited about it, so we went with it.

What a poser ;) Shirt from the D.I., skirt from a friend, necklace borrowed from Mom!
Halloween was fun because my girls were SO excited about it this year! They talked about trick-or-treating for weeks. Lia would pretend to go trick-or-treating to the ghosts and spiders and pumpkins decorating our house. It was funny.
My last-minute "Hipster Harry Potter" costume for work. None of my kindergartners knew what I was supposed to be. And they kept telling me, "You can't be Harry Potter, that's a boy!" Psh, I do what I want.
On Halloween they got to wear their costumes to the daycare and they were pretty excited about that. I was right in thinking that there were going to be plenty of little Elsas running around and I was pretty smug about Eleanor's unique Pikachu outfit....until I saw two more Pikachus on the playground! That'll teach me to be snobby haha. The girls had had so much fun at their Halloween parties at daycare. I didn't get off work until 6 and made the (foolish) decision to run to Little Caesar's to get a pizza for dinner before trick-or-treating. LCs was packed and I had to wait almost a half hour for our food. We were able to get out trick-or-treating before 7, which ended up being just perfect.
How cute are they?!
My sister Miranda came over to trick-or-treat with the girls and us. My kids had so much fun. They were great the whole time, didn't whine or cry at all until right at the end when they were starting to get a little tired. They were both brave enough to go right up to the doors by themselves, knock, and yell "Trick-or-Treat!" It was adorable. They were best friends, at least for a little while! After the first few houses Eleanor started saying "trick-or-treating" at the doors and it made me laugh every time. Some of the neighbors told the girls to "just take a handful!" of candy. Lia would usually just take one or two anyway, but Eleanor would keep grabbing piece after piece until we pulled her away. Uh, I'm not sure where she got that sweet tooth....no idea...


All in all it was a really, really fun night with my family. It seems like a lot of the time, holidays are so hyped up that when it finally comes around the kids end up being super whiny or out of control or grumpy. That has certainly happened to us before, but not this time! The girls were great and it was so much fun celebrating with them.


No comments: