Sunday, June 21, 2015

In Praise of Dads

It seems like in today's society, it's not cool to admire, praise, or revere men. Women are the champions, the long-suffering, the oppressed, the hard-working. Men are the oppressors, the irresponsible, the privileged, the abandoners of families. Praising men is almost tantamount to further oppressing women. The truth, of course, is that not all women are saints--and not all men are losers.

I was fortunate enough to be raised by a loving, devoted father. He taught me that the family and the Gospel of Jesus Christ are the most important things in the world. He taught me to have integrity. He taught me the value of hard work, dedication, and patience. He loves, supports, and helps my mom. He is a great man.

I am fortunate enough to be married to a fantastic man. His number one concern is our family. He works long hours at a highly stressful job to make sure we have what we need. He is always trying to find ways to be a better father. He pushes forward no matter how stressed, overwhelmed, or tired he is. He cares deeply about his immediate and extended family even though he sometimes tries to put up a tough front. He is a great man.

I have two brothers-in-law who are hard-working, devoted, and loving fathers. I have two grandfathers who raised their children to be loving, faithful, and compassionate, and whose impact on the world continues even though they are no longer upon it. I have two little brothers who, though they are just leaving their teenage years, are already proving to be kind, intelligent, and wonderful young men. These, along with countless other friends and family, are great men.

The world is full of amazing, strong, men who are devoted fathers, husbands, and sons. Men like these deserve to be praised. They deserve to be recognized for their contribution to families and society.

Thanks for all you do, fantastic men of the world! Happy Father's Day!
































2 comments:

Bass Family said...

I love all your pictures! And I agree, Yay for the men who work hard and are great men.

Bass Family said...

I love all your pictures! And I agree, Yay for the men who work hard and are great men.