Man, I've been having a rough week. Sometimes I just get down on myself, thinking about all the ways I'm failing at this mommy/wife thing. It seems like I can't ever do anything right. All day long I hear a voice in my head listing everything I'm doing wrong, everything I'm failing at. I just can't shake it.
So today, I am writing a list of all the ways I am a Good Mom. Because, I believe that there are things I'm doing right, and sometimes I just can't see them. This is in no way a way for me to brag about how great I am, because seriously the list of ways I'm a Bad Mom is much longer. But I don't want to dwell on that anymore, so here is a list to cheer myself up.
11 Ways I Am a Good Mom:
1. I read to my kids. Every day. We go to the library at least once a week. My girls love books. Sometimes I get tired of reading the same things over and over and sometimes I put in a movie instead. But I read to them every day, and they love it.
2. I brush their teeth at night. At least 4 or 5 times a week haha. Sometimes I forget. But I am trying to make a habit. (Haha, first I typed "hobbit" there and that's just funny.)
3. I get up in the night with them when they cry. And when she poops and pees in the bed because I forgot to put a diaper on her....D'OH! I cleaned up the poop at 4 am and didn't just make her sleep in her poop (she would have....she sleeps through anything...I only realized she had pooped because of the stench....I could have stayed in bed and slept instead....)
4. I give them tickles and kisses and cuddles. Even when I am frustrated with them. If then come to me crying with arms outstretched, I will pick them up and cuddle and kiss.
5. I feed them. I make dinners. They are not the most healthy and sometimes they don't eat anyway. But I try.
6. I kiss boo-boos.
7. I get up from dinner three or four times to take Lia to the potty, to get Eleanor a new spoon, to pick up a plate off the floor, to give bites of food because somehow their fine motor/spoon grasping skills deteriorate when dinner rolls around.
8. I take them to church.
9. I let them use me as a jungle gym.
10. Sometimes I say no. Even when the whining and crying is about to drive me insane, I stick to my guns and no means no. Ugh, that one is hard. I have a stubborn two year old. Sometimes I give in. But for the most part, I don't.
11. I love them. I try and try and try to figure out what is best for them and I cry because I don't have the answers and I'm tired of trying and failing and trying again, but I always love them. They are safe and healthy and loved.
There. I am not all bad. I am at least trying.
Now I want you other moms to do the same thing. Make a list. I want to read all about how you are a Good Mom. Go on, do it!
2 comments:
never think your a bad mom we are all learning and there is no manual that goes along with a child. Always know that you are trying to do the best you can even if at times it seems your not. Human nature makes us feel like we are failures when in fact life is just one big learning experience. And also we are always are hardest critics and boy can we be hard on ourselves. love ya I think your doing an awesome job. :)love mom
I love this post! I think you are an awesome mom! I think I am going to take your challenge and write a list of things that make me an awesome mom. I feel like most days I am just trying to stay above the water and not drown. Frankly, being a mom is hard and there is no way around it. I need to come visit ASAP!
Post a Comment