Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Thoughts About Mothers

I have the best Mom.

Seriously, she is amazing. I look up to her in so many ways. I think she's the best Mom anyone could have.

Now that I am a mom, I find myself constantly comparing myself to my own mother. I feel like I am nowhere near the kind of mother she is. I fall short. I lose my temper. I get lazy. I get impatient. I feel like I will never be as good as her.

But then I remember that my mom would always compare herself to her mother, and would tell us kids how amazing and wonderful and sweet my grandma is, and how she wished she was more like her mom. And I have also heard my grandmother speak in glowing praises of her mother, who died when Grandma was a teen.

I never understood why my mother would compare herself that way because, while my grandmother truly is a wonderful, sweet, amazing woman, so is my mom! She is my mother, and I love her, and growing up I thought she was perfect.

So the lesson to all this is: I'm not a perfect mother, and I am not just like my mom. We are different, and we mother differently. But maybe there is hope for me after all.


This song came to mind after I posted this.

No comments: