I don't want to brag or sound corny or anything, but you guys, we had an amazing Christmas this year!
This is the first year we have stayed at home with just the four us for Christmas Day. All the other years we've been married we've been either with Dustin's family or mine for Christmas, which is always fun, but I was excited to spend the holiday with just us for the first time.
On Christmas Eve we went to my mom's house to do birthdays and some Christmas stuff with the family. We played games and my Dad talked to the kids about what Christmas means to us. We wanted to sing some Christmas Carols together, so my mom and dad asked my girls which was their favorite Christmas song, and they enthusiastically replied "Rudoph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!" So we sang Rudolph together and then Away in a Manger. It was already after 9 when we headed for home, but we managed to keep the girls awake for the whole 40 minutes. Once we got home, we set out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. We read the girls the Nativity Story from the children's scriptures and then got them ready for bed. Luckily they fell asleep quickly, because Dustin and I had a lot of things to get ready!
 |
| Christmas morning at our house! |
It felt weird being "Santa" for the first time. We were the ones who drank Santa's milk and ate his cookies. We stayed up late wrapping gifts.We filled the stockings. Dustin bought himself a 60 gallon fish tank for Christmas and he spent the evening getting it set up after the girls went to bed. We cleaned up the front room and arranged the presents just so before heading to bed.
 |
| Opening presents |
Since the girls had gotten to bed late, we were pretty sure the girls would sleep in. Sure enough, by 8:00 am Dustin and I were wide awake and the girls were still snoozing! They would have probably slept till 9 or later, but Dustin and I were to excited. We got the camera and recorded them waking up and realizing it was Christmas Day. It was pretty cute. They were so excited to see the big new tank and the presents and the snow that had (finally!) fallen that night. They noticed that "Santa" had finished off the milk and carrots but left a few cookies for us to share. How thoughtful! :)

We had the girls check out their stockings and then we talked with them again about Jesus and why we celebrate his birth. We said a short prayer thanking Heavenly Father for the gift of his Son. Then we had the girls get the gifts they bought for each other and give them to their sister. We wanted them to realized that it's fun and feels good to give presents to each other, and I think they liked that. I hope so.
 |
| My favorite present. It's a blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch! |
 |
| He's not my only friend, but he's a little glowing friend. |
 |
| Lia had to use every color of nail polish on her toes, of course. |
 |
| Enna playing with her puppy. |
After that it was the typical Christmas morning free-for-all. The girls both loved the gifts they got. Eleanor asked for a puppy and a kitty, and she got a remote controlled dog that barks and walks and a kitty that comes with a veterinary set. (
FYI, it is nearly impossible to find just a simple stuffed dog or cat at the big stores. They all are either dumb-looking characters from TV shows, or remote-controlled, or they poop or sit or play dead or come in a bejeweled purse.... so lame. Of course if we had started looking sooner than one week before Christmas, we might have had time to find something.) Eleanor totally loves them both. Score one for Mom and Dad!
Lia asked for shiny, sparkly things, necklaces, bracelets, rings, dresses, and puzzles. Between her birthday and Christmas she got all of those, plus nail polish and lip gloss. She was very excited about all of the girly things. They also both got tights, little kid Legos (Mega Bloks), a remote controlled car, and lots of movies.
 |
| Presents after brunch at Penmans. |
After opening presents, we played with the toys for a little while, watched the Grinch, and then headed over to Penman's for their traditional Christmas Day brunch with Dustin's grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Dustin's grandma and Uncle Lynn cooked up a scrumptious smorgasbord. Quiche, bacon and sausage, toast, pancakes, hash browns, chocolate milk and orange juice. Mmmm, so delicious! I love Christmas brunch.
Just when were all starting to feel sleepy, it was time for more present-opening. Penmans are always so generous to us on birthdays and Christmas. They are wonderful people! The girls got a wagon for the summer, more cute necklaces and bracelets, jammies and art kits. My personal favorite of their gifts was a coloring book caddy made by their Great-Grandpa Penman in his shop. I thought it was a really thoughtful gift, and something they can have to remember Grandpa when he's gone.
 |
| Coloring with Dustin's cousin Alexis while waiting for their turn to open the next present. You can see the little caddy Great-Grandpa Penman made. |
 |
| Art kit |
 |
| Bracelets |
 |
| Jewelry and art kit |
After brunch it was back home for NAPS! Always my favorite part of Christmas.We spent the rest of the day relaxing and trying out our new toys. We had a simple dinner of quesadillas and sent the girls to bed early.
The next morning (today), the girls were excited that we had a little more snow and almost immediately started asking to play in it. Dustin was going to work all day, but he ended up only working till about noon. As soon as he was home the girls begged him to play with them outside. I was supposed to work at 1, so I got them dressed in their snow gear and told them I would play with them for just a few minutes. Then Daddy saved the day by getting his gear on and heading out to play with them! I was feeling a little sad and jealous that I wouldn't get to stay and play, but I headed to work anyway. As soon as I got there, they told me I could go home! Very few kids had come in to the day care that day, so they didn't need me. I literally skipped back to my car and couldn't stop smiling all the way home. I ran in, put on my snow gear, and got to play in the snow with my family! It was lots of fun. Dustin built the first level of what will be a cool igloo, providing we get some more snow soon!
 |
| Yay, snow! |
I'm telling you, it was awesome. This whole month has been fun getting ready with our little family for the Christmas season. I have liked trying to figure out with Dustin which traditions we want to keep, and which new ones we want to do. And I forgot to add, I had a fabulous birthday last Saturday too! Dustin took me out to dinner and a movie and Christmas shopping while my sister watched our kids. My family (extended absolutely included!) is amazing. I'm grateful for Christ for all the blessings in my life, and to Heavenly Father for the gift of his Son.
Merry Christmas!
**Blue Canary Song--"Birdhouse in Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbZzdalZh4 Yes, the video is weird but I love the song!
No comments:
Post a Comment