My oldest girl is two years old. Like most two year olds, she is not known for her kindness, thoughtfulness, or ability to share. She hasn't really developed a sense of empathy yet. It's been frustrating for me because even though I know those skills don't develop until later in life, I keep envisioning her in the future as this cold, heartless child because she doesn't seem to care about the feelings of others. Well, yesterday I caught my first glimpse of the loving girl she has the potential to be.
I was sitting on the couch on the computer and Eleanor was playing contentedly on the floor by me. When I heard Lia calling for me, I got up and went into her room to get her. Eleanor panicked because I had left the room, started crying hysterically, and crawled after me. I pretty much ignored her because she is just dramatic this way and I knew I'd be able to pick her up again in a few seconds. Lia, however, was concerned. As I got her out of her crib, she said, "Uh-oh Mom, Eleanor's sad! She's crying." I put Lia down and knelt down to gather Eleanor in my arms. Lia decided, "Enna wants her baby." She ran over to Eleanor's crib to try to get her doll out, but of course it wouldn't fit between the bars. She ran back to my side and looked at her crying sister in concern, then declared, "Here Enna, you can have my baby," and handed her own little baby doll over to her crying sister.
I was totally floored. I don't think Lia has ever voluntarily shared her toys with anyone before. She usually hates sharing with Eleanor. It was such a tender moment, proof that Lia is slowly learning compassion. I made sure to thank Lia and tell her how proud I was and show her how her sharing had made Enna so happy. It was one of those moments that makes me feel like, just maybe, my kids are going to be all right despite of my inadequate parenting skills. Or maybe I am doing something right after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment