I stumbled across this post while on Pinterest the other day, and it has really had an impact on me. The article is about the author's difficulties in transitioning from two to three children. She relates "5 simple truths" to help you transition between children. Although she was specifically talking about her transition from 2 to 3, her words exactly described my transition from one child to two. It has not been easy, to say the least. One of her "truths" is:
"This is only a season. We will all have difficult seasons in our lives but they too shall pass. In the midst of a particularly tough season I try to focus on the good things that will also pass with the seasons."
This really spoke to me because I have a very hard time remembering that my kids won't be this age forever. Right now, they are both very needy and dependent. It is hard for me to have even a moment of time to myself. I struggle daily to keep up with the extra messes that come with two kids two and under, not to mention the every day things like dishes and laundry. On top of that, for about the first nine months after Eleanor was born, I was lucky to get 3 or 4 consecutive hours of sleep each night. I was exhausted and short-fused most days. It has gotten much better now that Eleanor is almost sleeping through the night, but my days are still chaotic and frazzled.
It is so hard for me to remember that this is only a season. Soon my babies will grow up. They won't smear their oatmeal all over their tummies at breakfast, or blow veggie purees in my face, or pee on the carpet after running away laughing during diaper changes, or wake me up in the middle of the night because they are hungry or hot or poopy or lonely. They won't always whine for my attention, steal toys from each other, refuse to eat their dinner three nights in a row, or beg for chocolate milk eight times a day. In the frustrating, hard, angry moments, I close my eyes and repeat in my head, "This is only a season. This is only a season."
It has really helped me keep perspective and get through the day.
There is, however, another side of this short season we are in. My girls won't always cuddle on my lap, begging for just one more story before bed. Lia won't always burst into spontaneous song throughout the day, and Enna won't always growl like a little bear and take off running on her stubby legs when she's excited. They won't always love my off-key songs or wrestling with Daddy. They won't always let me dress them up in matching outfits or give them shampoo mowhawks in the tub. They won't always hold my hand to cross the streets. Right now, they are innocent, adorable, and fun. They are little. But this is only a season. I try to remember this when I am tired and just want to sleep at 2 a.m. instead of making Eleanor a bottle. I try to cherish the middle of the night snuggles instead of giving into frustration. I try to make time for extra puzzles and games with Lia instead of being annoyed that she keeps whining at me when I'm trying to get the dishes done.
People tell parents of young children, "It goes by so fast!" We mostly smile tolerantly and think to ourselves, "Obviously you haven't had toddlers in a very long time...." That kind of well-meaning comment usually tends to make me defensive because it doesn't really validate the frustration and struggle that are a reality when dealing with young children. If we can remember, though, that this is only a season...well, that makes things a bit easier. At least, it has for me.
Want to know something else I realized? Remembering that "This is only a season" can help everyone, not just those with young kids. Tired of being in school? Wishing you were married? Lonely because your kids are all grown up? Our lives are made up of seasons. Some seem long and awful, like the winter we just had here in Logan. But guess what? Today is the first day of Spring. My dear friend's husband is coming home from Basic Training and Tech School today. It has surely been a long, lonely winter for her. But today, her Spring is starting. If you feel like you're in the middle of your hardest winter yet, just remember, Spring will come. This is only a season.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"
*You can read the full post by Jessica Lieb, and her other "5 Truths, " here.
2 comments:
That was wonderful! I can totally relate. This is a wonderful way of looking at the toddler /baby stage- this is only a season. People tell me all the time to enjoy it because they grow up fast and soon they won't want you any more. Hard to believe when you are living it. But really Eva is going to be four soon. Where did the time go?
It's funny, two to three wasn't too bad for us. It was three to four that we're STILL trying to transition into. But I LOVE this just the same. "This is only a season," would make excellent wall art. Great post and it even got my creative juices flowing!
Post a Comment