Wow, it's been a while! I have been feeling pretty lazy lately. I keep telling myself I'll post....then I watch Psych instead. (New episodes online!! YESSSSS!!)
I've been wanting to do a post about my super husband. He is amazing.
DUSTIN PENMAN, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!
Here's a story about my husband. He is one of the first people in his family to graduate with a Bachelors Degree. In my family growing up, there was an expectation that you would go to college after high school. My parents always encouraged us to continue our education, and I have a lot of family members who have college educations. I really enjoyed my college experience. I was lucky enough to only have one semester of school left when we got married, so I got my bachelors degree and then was able to work to help Dustin get his degree. I am really grateful we never had to choose which one of us to put through school like a lot of married couples do.
After he got back from his mission, Dustin decided to pursue a business degree. However, after a year and a half of schooling, he discovered that his math classes from Snow College would not transfer to USU, meaning he would have to completely start over in math before he could get into USU's business program. He would have to wait at least a year doing just math classes, just to get into the program He was pretty bummed. Even though he knew it would set him back further, he decided to change his major. He chose Social Work, because in a previous class a guest speaker had given a presentation about Social Work, and Dustin was pretty interested. Now we realize that it was divine intervention. Dustin has truly excelled in the Social Work program. His instructors have all been very impressed with him. He did an internship with the Guardian ad Litem and just did a phenomenal job. He also had a part-time job every semester, and a full-time job every summer. Dustin has never really loved school, and he's had a lot of stress with his jobs and school and trying to raise a family for the last 4 years.
But he did it! I can't tell you how many times over the last 4 years I heard him groan, "I'm NEVER going to graduate!" It seemed like an impossible goal, and it didn't help that several family members questioned his decision to pursue a degree instead of finding work immediately that wouldn't require a degree. Dustin himself questioned his decision at times. However, we knew that long-term a degree was the best choice for our family. I am so proud of Dustin for pushing through the hard times and working so hard to achieve his goal, while still supporting me at home with our girls.
| Waiting for his turn to get his diploma! |
| There he is! Dustin Russell Penman, BA |
![]() |
| Our family on USU campus. We will miss Logan! |

No comments:
Post a Comment