Monday, June 10, 2013

Lunchtime Conversations

If you've never had a two-year-old, you may not understand why people claim that their two-year-olds drive them crazy. My husband's grandma assures me that one day I'll miss this stage, so for history's sake here is a little glimpse into a typical lunchtime routine with my two-year-old. How long until I go crazy? You decide.

Me: It’s time for lunch. What do you want?
Lia: Chocolate milk.
Me: You can’t have milk for lunch. What do you want to eat?
Lia: Red juice.
Me: No, Lia, you can’t have a drink for lunch, you have to EAT.
Lia: No! I don’t want to eat!
Me: Do you want lasagna or pancakes?
Lia: I want Boogeyman.
Me: Lia, don’t be silly.
Lia: (laughs)
Me: Do you want lasagna?
Lia: Yeah, masamna.
Me: Okay, I’ll get you some lasagna.
Lia: No! I don’t want it.
Me: You don’t want lasagna?
Lia: Yes, I do.
Me: Lia, if I give you lasagna, are you going to eat it?
Lia: No. Yes. No. Boogeyman.
(I get her some lasagna.)
Me: Here, eat your lasagna.
Lia: I want chocolate pudding.
(A few minutes later)
Me: Lia, eat another bite of lasagna.
Lia: What?
Me: I said eat another bite of lasagna.
Lia: What
Me: Eat. A. Bite!
Lia: Why?
Me: Because I told you to.
Lia: Why?
Me: Because it’s lunchtime and you need to eat.
Lia: What?
Me: I said you need to eat!
Lia: Why?
Me: STOP THAT.
Lia: Why? 
Me (with my head in my hands) Lia, just eat your lunch.
Lia: Eat my BOOGEYMAN! (laughs hysterically)

No comments: