Lately I have really been working with Lia on trying to do things by herself. Usually she just whines until I do it for her, so I have been really pushing her to try first, and then ask for help.
Today when I was in the bathroom she decided to try to put her shirt on all by herself. I came into her room to see her with the shirt on backward, with one arm in the arm hole and one in the collar, and tears running down her face.
"Mommy," she wailed, "I tried but I'm just not good enough!"
It was heartbreaking. I felt tears threatening my own eyes.
I hugged her tight and spent the next five minutes trying to reassure her that I was so proud of her for trying, that she had done a fantastic job, and that it's okay if we don't do it right as long as we try.
Sometimes I wonder why Heavenly Father would ever trust someone like me with his children. I clearly don't know what I am doing!
Dear Lia, if you grow up to be a perfectionist who is afraid of failure, please don't blame me. I am doing the best I can. Love, Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment